Friday, February 28, 2014

Pissed Off-Going Private Soon or Shutting Down Blog

I noticed some odd spikes in my blog traffic after my last post.  It was a boring post, and I wasn't really expecting any big traffic to it, which is pretty much what happened.  It had a few trickles of people here and there, but then had random spikes yesterday and today (even though the post was from last weekend).  When I went to look into why, I discovered that my blog had been linked in a popular infertility and adoption website with a description that wasn't written by me....without my permission.  Upon further inspection, I discovered that even though I have my privacy settings set to not allow search engines to find me, I was now searchable.  You see, it turns out there is a website called Bloglovin.com that is essentially a pinterest for blogs.  Somehow the ENTIRE contents of my blog are now on that website.  Which now causes my blog to be found, in entirety, on that website.

I am pissed.  I have shared some very personal information about myself and my son (which I now realize was a mistake).  My son is a minor, and that alone should make what they are doing illegal.  This website does not have my permission to share my personal blog in that manner.  I attempted to figure out how to remove my blog from it, and it isn't possible unless I go private.

I urge all of you to check into searching for your blog and really look into whether your blog is as private as you think it is.  Actually, upon closer inspection many of the SMC blogs I follow are also on this Bloglovin.com website.

This blog has allowed me to meet so many amazing people, but I one of the greatest things about it, is that I have been able to truly share my thoughts and experiences without worrying that anyone IRL would read it unless I decided they could.

I had debating moving away from blogger for a while now, but am so technically illiterate that I didn't really think to much about the switch over.  I would greatly appreciate any and all recommendations for other blog formats in which I can have stronger privacy settings without going all or none.

16 comments:

  1. I can't get on a computer to check if my blog is there. This is terrible. And how will I find you again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't trust anything to be completely unsearchable. I've tried but I know my blog is not hard to find even with that option in place. The internet can be scary that way. Wordpress has the password feature that blocks each post as you'd like. It's also very easy to move content there. Livejournal is lesser known but allows friends only, public or private settings. Tumblr has good enough settings but no password option that I've found. A block feature though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say - bloglovin is what came up after the blogger reader (forgot what it was called) died. It keeps track of the blogs people are following but it sounds far more social than I thought it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like everyone is on there except I don't seem to be, but I've got no followers so that's prob why! Do you think people would even look for it who aren't in a similar position though? I didn't 'sign in' to it as I don't want to join but it seems that you have to search by subject. If you go anywhere else, I'd love to keep following... it's so nice to read about someone who's had success and with whom I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started my adoption blog, I had a nosey coworker dig until she found it (long story) and then use it against me at work. I didn't want to notify my employer until my home study was complete, but she forced my hand. I ended up being passed over for a promotion shortly after I revealed I was having a home study done - a promotion that had essentially been promised to me a few weeks prior.

      So I've always treated my blog as totally public and I have to assume the worst of anyone who may see it. People are jerks.

      Delete
  5. I am pretty concerned about my blog popping up there too (only when you search by its URL, which doesn't match its title at all). I may be going private too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. My understanding is that bloglovin is a feeder website, so that people who read a lot of blogs can organize what they read into their own private feed. I imagine that what happens is that once a reader types your url into their (private) feed then the url becomes part of the bloglovin hive. In that way it seems to have found a loophole for the blogs people mark unsearchable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really weird to see my own blog and other's blogs on Bloglovin. I'd also made my blog unsearchable. I've sometimes thought about moving to Worpress, but I've never looked into other blog platforms much.
    Best of luck in whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm...I seem to be in the same boat. Pls keep us posted on what you decide to do about this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sorry to hear about this. Good luck in whatever you decide, and hope not to lose touch with your blog, as I've enjoyed what you have shared, as a fellow SMC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Jo has it right. I used bloglovin when blogger reader 1st closed down after reading about it on another blog. I'm wondering if they're compiling this info based on blogs others follow. I feel awful that it appears I contributed to your issue :( absolutely awful.

    I received a few emails from Feedly offering me a free membership since so many people were using them to follow my blog...that made me a little antsy...I guess there's no private in the blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Urgh. This is just the sort of thing that made me decide to shut down my Sprout blog and set it to private. I had it set to not show up in browser searches, but I still didn't trust that the information (particularly pictures of my family) wouldn't be found by people I didn't want to see it.

    Sorry you're faced with this dilemma. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very disturbed to learn that my blog is there as well. This sucks. I may be going private without any word to my readers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. live 173視訊
    live 173影音視訊
    173視訊聊天
    173免費視訊聊天
    173免費視訊美女
    live 173免費視訊
    173免費視訊秀
    173免費視訊聊天網
    live173 視訊美女
    173影音live秀
    免費視頻語音聊天室在線色情視頻網址美女隨機視頻聊天室街拍性感長腿美女免費視訊聊天軟體
    語音聊天網站模特私拍現場性愛視頻ut聊天室免費視訊區很很魯在線視頻免費視訊交友聊天
    網愛視頻聊天室大膽人體模特性愛視頻ut免費視訊聊天室最好看的黃色網站免費視訊聊天交友網
    多人視頻聊天室模特走秀視頻有夫妻性愛的視頻網站外國成人色情視頻大區uthome免費視訊聊天
    視頻免費聊天網色婷婷視頻小說超碰免費視頻公開夫妻真人裸聊視頻試看0410 免費視訊聊天網

    ReplyDelete